Thursday 22 August 2013

A good fairytale book seems hard to find...

Lately, I feel like I've been living in the parallel worlds of raising kids and retelling fairytales. In time, I'll do a series of posts on fairytales, but for now, I'd like to express my frustration at not being able to find a particularly great compilation of tales. By this, I mean a beautifully illustrated text of fairytales that is still in print. I still have my numerous fairytale books from when I was little, and my beloved Story Time/Story Teller collections by Marshall Cavendish but I haven't been able to find anything comparable., published in recent years.

Maybe I've missed something...?

Though out of print, one of my favourites is My big book of fairytales: a treasury of favourite stories for children, printed in the mid 80's. It's a 'best of' the Story Teller series, consisting of 73 fairytales illustrated by various illustrators. The fairytales themselves are beautifully retold - not too scary but not too glossy either. Second hand (online) booksellers have plenty of copies for only a few dollars.

If anyone can recommend a compilation of fairytales they love, please let me know!



No comments:

Post a Comment